Careers at Manna
To apply for an opening, email a resume to Job@mannafood.org or fax your resume to 301-294-7968.
The statements below are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
Director of Development and Communications
Manna Food Center is a well-established nonprofit organization that strives to be at the Center of ending hunger in Montgomery County, MD. We seek a skilled, energetic, and goal-oriented Director of Development committed to economic justice who will be pivotal to our plans to expand and evolve our agency.
Specific responsibilities include: Develop, implement and manage the long and short-term fundraising and communications plans for Manna Food Center. Ensure that Manna continues to implement best practices in fundraising, public relations and communications with a focus on funding growth and sustainability within strategically focused long and short-term goals. The Director of Development works closely with the Executive Director and Board of Directors on strategic communications, capital campaigns and donor relations.
Summary of essential job functions:
Development and Fundraising
- Serve on the agency’s leadership team and contribute to the transformation of the agency, the cohesion of the team, and the formulation of mission-critical, collaborative responses to a dynamic environment.
- Create and implement development and communications plans focused on annual goals and aligns with the multi-year strategic plan.
- Implement and/or oversee grant activities including: Research grant opportunities and write grants to apply for funds from foundation and government sources.
- Fulfill reporting requirements for grants, donations and other Development activities.
- Develop and maintain annual sponsorship opportunities with corporate partners that align with goals in the strategic plan.
- Create and implement plans to increase the number and amount of individual, faith-based and corporate donations. Develop and/or update individual giving tools and programs including stock and planned giving programs.
- Manage the annual fund, targeting current donors, lapsed donors and prospective donors with the goal of increasing the primary donor list and showing ambitious annual growth.
- Manage and motivate Development staff to meet overall fundraising, volunteering and communication goals.
- Contribute to and manage the creation of the annual report and oversee Development staff as they assist with the production of newsletters, the weekly blog, social media and the development of informational materials.
Communications and Public Relations
- Develop a comprehensive and coordinated outreach experience program to recruit and maintain program participants, including clients, volunteers, and donors.
- Develop and maintain relationships with print, radio and multi-media contacts to meet public relations and communications goals.
- Plan, design and manage special events particularly related to food drives and an annual hunger awards event
- Develop and implement a comprehensive branding and positioning plan.
- Develop and maintain a style guide for Manna communications.
- Modernize and maintain the Manna website and all social media activities.
- Bachelor’s degree with Masters preferred or equivalent training and certifications.
- Seven or more years of experience creating and implementing Development/Communications plans to advance the strategic goals of nonprofit organizations while building and increasing annual revenue.
- Advanced understanding of nonprofit management, fundraising, communications and public relations best practices.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills for a variety of audiences
- Strong time-management and organizational skills.
- Able to multi-task effectively and handle a wide variety of diverse and concurrent responsibilities with grace, wit and humility.
- Knowledge of social media and graphic design
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Donor database software experience is required and InDesign experience a plus.
- Experience managing volunteers desirable.
- This position will report to the Executive Director, who will be your partner in efforts at creating compelling communications, expansive campaigning, and relationship building at all levels of the organization and throughout the community.
What You Can Expect from Manna:
- Collaborative work environment with a dedicated leadership team (and Board) to shape and support your efforts
- A compelling mission, inspiring values, and ambitious plans that are marketable
- Real opportunities to grow a revenue stream within a small ($2.1 million operating budget) and transform the reach and impact of a well-regarded community-based organization
- Modest but fair compensation, humble but happy work environment and the opportunity to make change in the lives of tens of thousands of your neighbors.
To apply for this position email resume and cover letter to email@example.com or fax to 301-294-7968. No phone calls. Manna is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Manna is committed to ending hunger in Montgomery County, MD and we seek teammates who embrace our vision and values. Applicants representing the communities we serve are encouraged to apply.
Date Posted: 05/28/2015
Food Distribution Clerk
Manna Food Center Job Description- Food Distribution Clerk
Reports to: Warehouse Supervisor
Direct Reports: None
Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-time 35 hours a week. Non-Exempt
- This position is part of a team that offers food service to our vulnerable neighbors. The Clerk is responsible for the daily distribution of food at satellite sites through direct interactions with the public.
Summary of essential job functions
- Oversees the client check-in for all food distributed using established policies and utilizing trained volunteers
- Ensures that the food that is distributed in open boxes meets all food safety and nutrition guidelines
- Ensures that all open boxes have a similar quantity and quality of fresh and prepared food according to Manna standards
- Ensures that food is distributed to clients efficiently and according to program qualifications
- Ensures that clients are always treated with respect and kindness
- Backs-up fulltime drivers to secure food donations and make deliveries
- As available, works closely with warehouse volunteers
- As available, assists in making sure the warehouse is clean and well organized.
- Supports operations with other duties as assigned
- Excellent customer service skills, including the ability to treat all participants with dignity and manage difficult and/or challenging clients with polite respect
- Experience in a fast-paced, high energy environment such as restaurant or food industry, social service, or retail
- Able to multi-task effectively and handle a wide variety of diverse and concurrent responsibilities
- Excellent logistical and organizational skills
- ServSafe certification within 180 days
- Able to pass and maintain the MD Medical Examiner’s Certificate (DOT card)
- Pre-employment drug screening
- Able to be insured under Manna’s insurance policies
- Fluency in Spanish and English is preferred
- Prior truck experience (non-CDL) and willingness to occasionally drive is preferred
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit and climb or balance. The employee must regularly lift and/or move objects up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move objects up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move objects that weigh more than 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
To apply for this position email resume and cover letter to Job@mannafood.org or fax to 301-294-7968 before 5 p.m. May 29, 2015. No phone calls. Manna is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Manna is committed to ending hunger in Montgomery County, MD and we seek teammates who embrace our vision and values. Applicants representing the communities we serve are encouraged to apply.
Date Posted: 05/11/2015